Sunday 11 May 2014

MHAW 2014: Seven Steps to Stability

MHAW 2014
It isn't much, but for Mental Health Awareness Week (MHAW), which starts tomorrow and runs up to and including Sunday 18 May, I am going to write a blog each day that I am collectively naming 'My Seven Steps to Stability.'  So called, because a) it's alliteratively pleasing, b) seven blogs in seven days hence why it's seven and c) 'stability' because the blogs will reflect the seven key things that helped me after I had my worst ever panic attack back in March 2011.  I use the term Stability, not just because of the alliteration, but also because the word 'recovery,' which is the word I started using, almost makes it sound like I have recovered completely from my anxiety.  This isn't the case, although as you'll hopefully grasp, there is an argument that without this horrific incident in 2011 my anxiety now may be worse than what it actually is.  Short term pain for long term gain and all that. 

Anyway, I have written about this incident on this website before; please check out previous blogs here and here to find out more about it to help put it into context.  In summary, a long train journey triggered a panic attack that lasted about 14 hours, which then had longer-term effects that included severe anxiety for months thereafter.

I hope that this will help just a few people (realistically) to understand the things that helped me.  Some will apply to everyone, so won't or can't, some will be harder than others to implement, depending on your own experiences.  But I suppose my message is this: hope is out there.

Are you anxiety aware?

Best wishes
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment