Sunday 17 June 2012

Why am I doing this?

Setting up a blog that focuses on anxiety may seem like I am over-immersing myself in the condition.  This in turn could exacerbate it and make it worse by focusing on it too much.  However, I believe that by talking about it, or at least writing it down, has many more benefits than disadvantages:

1) I have often found that jumbled thoughts can suddenly un-jumble themselves when you write them down; writing can unlock a hidden logic to proceedings and really help you to understand what's going on.

2) Sharing your thoughts with other people, particularly those who have had similar experiences, is greatly beneficial from an anxiety point of view.  Engaging with those people is the best form of therapy to dealing with anxiety, from what I can tell.

3) I enjoy the feelings from the latter; I am a 'people person' as 'they' say and consequently I relish interacting with other people, making connections etc.  Granted I could have combined this with point 1 but to only have two points seems a bit sparse given I'm trying to justify the existence of this blog.

By huge coincidence, I have recently discovered Anxiety UK's HealthUnlocked site where members can post blogs and speak to other people in the AUK community.  This literally happened when I read about it in the latest addition of Anxious Times, which I received in the post yesterday, just two days after setting up this blog.  This HealthUnlocked site looks brilliant, exactly the sort of thing that I want to be involved in, and I hope to make good use of it.  Hopefully this blog can be somehow linked up to it. 

So why I am doing this?  For the three points outlined above, rather than to obtain or give any therapy advice.

It's my birthday tomorrow, and I have tomorrow and Tuesday off work :D but I intend soon to write a blog about myself, as I said in the previous blog, aside from the anxiety.  Who is Al, what does he do and where does he go?  More to the point, does anybody care?

Best wishes
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment